Thursday, July 24, 2014

DIY Cheap Shorts

Craft time!  I don't know about you, but I dont like to spend money if I don't have to.  Unfortunately, sometimes it's a necessity... especially if you gain five pounds over the winter and NONE of your shorts fit!  And if they do fit (and by 'fit' I mean you laid down on the bed sucked in and were able to barely zip and button them), you have this wonderful overhang on the top ever so fondly nicknamed the muffin top.  Which by the way is a perfectly good way to ruin a snack, now everytime I walk by a muffin I give it the evil eye!  Anyway, I am not okay with the muffin top, so I needed to go by some new shorts.

I went to Kohl's because I can usually find something on sale, and half the time I have Kohl's cash or a 30% coupon to help out too.  Of course, since this was the beginning of summer there were no shorts on clearance and I was NOT going to spend $30-$40 on a pair of shorts to fit my, ummm, voluptious behind!  What I did find was some Rock & Republic jeans on the clearance rack and decided that I could make my own shorts for way cheaper!  This may not be rocket science, but I thought someone may benefit from seeing how I did it!

Here are my Rock & Republic jeans that I scored for super cheap! Cute, right?  The R on the back pocket is snake print and the fronts have metal studs on them.


The way that I make jean shorts is super easy. I take a pair of shorts that I already own and that I like the length on and lay them on top of the pants I'm going to cut.  You have to line up the legs, because you will wind up cutting them at an angle.  Trust me, if you just grab a pair of pants and cut them straight across the legs it will look all wonky!  Just don't do it!  (That's my PSA for the day to keep people from walking around looking all wonkified)!


After you cut them and depending on how you like your shorts, you can either leave them as is or roll them up.  I just did one fold so that as they are washed you will still see the frayed edge.  And look at all those studs!!  Love them!


Wash them to get the fraying started and then wear them! Easy peasy, took about 5 minutes and now I have shorts that fit my boo-tay and don't give me the muffin top.  And the legs are actually the same length, but it's very difficult to get a good photo of your own lower half.  Seriously, you should try it, it's harder than you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment